Monday, July 30, 2007

disobedience, blah, blah, blah

It is such constant thing here- confronting disobedience in my kids. So, how do help Marshall and Stewart understand how important it is to obey. Not "obey -so you get rewarded", not "obey -so you don't have to face the consequences", just "obey"! It's not that simple is it? I don't want to be overly strict and crush their little spirits either. They need to make their own mistakes, but it's my job to protect them until the time is right for them to gain that understanding for themselves. The timing that is right for Marshall, may not be for Stewart, so my job gets tougher.
I've noticed that there are times when disobedience happens more frequently (today was one of those times). I've read that sometimes when kids act up they are externalizing things they are feeling, things that they aren't able to express in a "mature" way. So, I want to be sensitive but instructive too. It's simply one of the things we have to deal with as parents. But today, I'm frustrated about it and I don't even want to write about it anymore, so I'll just get on with it.
We visited with friends this morning and were pleased to get out of the house for awhile. I am so thankful and often flabergasted at the friends I have. I feel honored that interesting people want to spend time with me when I feel so tired and dull. Kinda nice, huh? Thanks girls!
This afternoon we ventured out to the YMCA pool for an afternoon outing. Besides having incredible weather, can you guess why I'm so desperate to get out of the house on my first "solo" day in a couple of weeks? My mom said she was going to give me some space since we had been doing so many family things with my brother having been in town. Although I was ready for space, I almost cried. Actually, I did cry at the thought of doing it by myself again. So, thanks mom for hanging with us.
Laura killed me tonight at Yoga! I'm sore already.
When I came home, Mike pressed some coffee for me so I could finish some art that will be showing starting this Friday at the Harrison Gallery. It's still not finished.
Blah, blah, blah. What a boring post. Maybe I should spice up my life a bit. Ideas? Dancing anyone?

No comments: